1.31.2006

Coretta Scott King

Today is yet another sad day in American history. This morning it was announced that Coretta Scott King, wife of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., passed away. Though I wasn't alive during the rise of the Civil Rights movement I am definitely part of the next generation, whose responsibility it is to carry out what everyone fought so tiredlessly for.

With her and Rosa Parks passing and tomorrow being the first day of Black History Month I started thinking to myself...What has my generation really done to keep the fire of Dr. and Mrs. King's words alive?

We tend to sit aloof watching this president take 18 and 19 year old men and women to war, allowing them to risk their lives everyday and he can't even give them or their families a good reason why they are there, dying so senselessly at an astounding rate.

We tend to sit aloof watching on our little cable boxes the struggles of low income (poor) people as they couldn't even afford to find a way out of the city during Katrina. And instead of just helping them with monetary donations we should be creating a national debate about our inner cities and the socioeconomic disparties of this country. Instead we feel better just donating on the internet.

I believe, in my humble opinion, all Dr. and Mrs. King wanted us to do is to treat each other as equals because under the eyes of God that is all we really are...equals. Equal despite your color, religion, sexual orientation, economic class, etc.

Our generation is so devoid of feeling because we constantly are only thinking about ourselves that we are allowing the unequal treatment of others to happen around us constantly. When is our generation going to give a damn? When are we going to be willing to stand up for what is morally right and wrong (not morally according to the Bush agenda either...the most backwards morality I have ever heard of!) When are we going to get off of our iPod's and TiVo's and actually care. If we don't then I am fearful of the future of our society, our country and its people.

5 comments:

jaynar said...

I hate myself when I think of Dr. King...he was 25 when he led the Montgomery Bus Boycott...what am I doing at age 25?

Michelle said...

That is exactly how I feel. I work for a boss that has no idea what he is doing and could care less for that matter as long as he gets his bonus. Great person to have in the non-profit field! I am only here for the paycheck at this point. Hard to love something the founder and ED doesn't even love.

It kills me sometimes...I feel like I am wasting away the greatest years on my life because taking that risk and starting my own non-profit would be just too difficult.

Michelle said...

I think that with Mrs. King's passing I have realized that I really need to sit down and find what I am passionate about and then go out there and just start my own non-profit. I have wanted to for awhile now but I think have been very nervous in doing so.

jaynar said...

Hmmm...well, if you two ever do decide to do such...let me know. I've been wanting to start grant writing for some time now. Plan on going to a class on it next month. You know I'd do anything I could to help you two! (Or at least I hope you know that...)

Michelle said...

I would love to discuss it with you. I am going to start to decide what I am most passionate about and what are the biggest things that need to be discussed in society and then start to develop a non-profit organization.