1.16.2006

And then there was Fenway

So this weekend Justin and I did something out of the ordinary for the two of us. We got up on Saturday morning (after a long night at the Charity Preview for the Auto Show. I know that this is not a big deal for anyone other than Detroiters but wait till I post some photos of the cool new cars up here) and spontaneously decided that it was going to be the day that we purchased a dog. Yeah you heard me right, a dog!

I have wanted a dog since I was 10, but my mom never let my brother or I have pets (the goldfish we brought home from the fair and the ducks I hatched in Bio in high school don't count) so this day has been coming for awhile now. I really just couldn't believe that we did it together.

This is a huge step in this relationship for me. I know that all my friends tell me that Justin is the right one but to know it and start acting on that have been more difficult for me than expected. The decision plays a bigger role in our relationship than I think it leads on to.

Let me explain further...
First, Justin always thinks everything through about 20 times before it gets done. You should see the two of us in Target! I am the one who is like "these chairs would be great for the dinning room table," and he sort of looks at them, doesn't say anything and then moves two aisles over and we forget about it. He is so damn picky about everything. We had been discussing getting a dog for awhile and for him to just act on that decision and not be so undecided was a great thing for me.

Second, I have been working a lot on me lately, trying to figure out what I really want out of life. Why I am happy or unhappy with myself and how that causes problems in my relationship. So to go forward with buying a dog was a real big step in that direction for us. It basically indicated to me that I wanted to be something more with this man than others in the past. (You would have thought the house covered this part!)

Last, It was great to see Justin and I seeing our lives as more than something in the present. I know we talk about getting married and we talk about the future but to actually act upon that future by bringing something else into our lives is a huge deal for me. I have been so hurt by men in the past and to trust Justin enough to think about a future makes me so excited!

I know, I know...it is just a dog but for me this meant so much more. Slowly I will heal from the past and at that point I can't wait to see what this relationship has in store for me.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

We just got approved today. Justin is going to pick him up and I will be sure to post pictures!

Anonymous said...

and where would be pictures of said dog? *aha! see your note*

congrats on the new addition to your family. :)

Michelle said...

Thanks Mel! I made Justin take pictures of him when he went to pick him up because I couldn't be there with work! I am so excited to see him and take photos...you might even have to help lend your scrapbooking expertise to help me create an annoucement for us to send out for him. So excited I am like a god damn parent!

Michelle said...

He is a beagle/terrier mix...he is tan and he is medium to little in size. He looks like bambi when he is outside running in the snow. I am going to a coffee house this evening to post pictures of him.

jaynar said...

Name? What's the pup's name?

Michelle said...

His name is Fenway!